Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Bring on the Art Show!


So, another year has come and gone. I cannot believe how fast it has passed. With the end of the year comes the culmination and celebration of our student artists and their artwork: the High School Art Show.

Honestly, this is one of my FAVORITE parts of the year. I love taking over the hallways and covering them with art. Although we try to keep displays up and changing throughout the year, it is nothing like the art show. We take over the halls and cover it floor to celing with art. We also wrap it around in a circular fashion so that visitors merely have to walk in a circle around the auditorium in order to see and enjoy the artwork.
Aprons hung from the ceiling to add to the Art Show Festivities.

Our school offers 9 art classes that serve approximately 600 students. Therefore, it is quite a task to get up all the work to represent all the students and their artistic endeavors throughout the year. It is normally a process that takes 2-3 weeks. Week 1 involves preparing the display boards and showcases by cleaning them up. Week 2 involves organizing and hanging artwork on the boards and in the showcases. Week 3 involves hanging the boards in the halls and finishing showcases and hallways. Each year we schedule our Art Show in between our Chorale and Instrumental Concerts for “Week of the Arts.” Not only will visitors on the night of the art show get to see the artwork, but so will the visitors to the musical concerts.

Throughout the last few years, I have learned quite a few tricks from my fellow art teachers that I would like to share with you. I hope they aid you in the display of your student’s artwork.

INSULATION SHEETING: So, finding enough space can be tricky. Although we have numerous display boards already installed on the wall, I have learned that it is very easy to make more, temporary, mobile display boards using Blue Home Insulation Sheeting. This Insulation is super light weight and can be transported and moved easily. If taken care of they can be used for many years.


Insulation Sheeting with Bed Sheet Cover & Artworks
BEDSHEETS: I buy more bed sheets for display purposes than to actually cover beds! To cover up the insulation boards, we wrap them in a bed sheet. You can purchase a Twin Flat Bedsheet relatively inexpensively at Wal-Mart, or purchase them really cheap at consignment shops. Note: It is not worth ironing the bed sheets before adhering them; just pull them super tight when you apply the bed sheet to the board and they will de-wrinkle on their own. (We use T-Pins to pin them in place. Spray adhesive can also be used to help the bed sheet stick.) When the bedsheets on the boards get dirty, we use masking tape to wipe it off, it works very well. I also use bed-sheets inside the showcase to jazz up the showcases and create backdrops.



Hanging Portraits Connected by Paper Clips
PAPER CLIPS: Paper clips are super versatile. You can use them to hang lightweight objects or artworks from the ceiling. You can also use them like links. We have found that if we unfold the paper clip and use it to join two artworks that have been matted, it allows us another way to display 2D artworks without the use of a board. It works well for filling “nooks and crannies.”







Hanging Baskets with Fishing Line & Cork Board Display
FISHING LINE: Showcase space is limited, so I have  to devise creative ways of displaying 3D artworks. I have taken to Fishing Line. At a cost of $2-3 dollars per spool, it is incredibly cheap and also extremely strong! I hand anything and everything that be hung safely and without adding excess weight to the ceiling panels. This year I hung the coiled baskets, as well as some papier mache sculptures.



CORK BOARDS: Another trick that I have discovered is the use of cork boards. I cover cork boards in fabric and use the cork boards to display jewelry, weavings, and anything else that can be tacked into place. The cork boards travel well and can be displayed on an easel instead of inside a show case.


Embroidery Hoop Display
EMBROIDERY HOOPS: Embroidery hoops work similar to the cork boards. I add a piece of fabric to the embroidery hoop and then use the hoop to display jewelry. It is nice because I can stitch the jewelry to the fabric to deter swift fingers. The circular shape of the hoop also adds a graphic shape to the display. I was gifted 3 very large embroidery hoops from my mother in law who picked them up for me at an auction. She had no idea what they were, but thought I could figure out something to do with them, which I did! They worked beautifully!


I hope these ideas inspire and assist you in displaying your student’s artwork.