Thursday, June 21, 2012

Self-Portait Sculptures!

Hello everyone! Today I would like to share with you a very successful sculpture lesson that I did this year with my 3D Design II students.

As the end of the school year approached, I wanted to try to come up with sculpture lesson for my 3D II students. Last year in 3D Design 1 they did a pop art sculpture lesson focusing on Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. They used papier mâché to create sculptures of ordinary, everyday objects on a larger scale. (Think MASSIVE pencil!) Since they already had a foundation in papier mache, I wanted to challenge them with something a little bit more conceptual as well as more technical.

When I began reviewing gaps in my curriculum, I realized that I never really did any type of portraiture with this group of 3D Design students. Since students in Art 1, Art 2, Art 3, and AP Studio all do at least 1 portrait each year, I wanted to give my 3D Design II students an opportunity to create a portrait.

I thought back to self-portraits I had done in college and thought about my absolute favorite one. In my watercolor class, we had to create a portrait in the style of, “A Portrait of the Artist as: ___________.” This was definitely my favorite and most memorable portrait. I created a “Portrait of the Artist as: A LAWN GNOME.” It was so much fun to imagine myself as something totally unexpected and off the wall. So, in planning this lesson for my 3D II students, I thought, “Why can’t I use this statement as the premise of my self-portrait lesson?”

I began to work on a PowerPoint on self-portraits by a variety of artists. We analyzed and interpreted a number of self-portraits by Frida Kahlo, Rembrandt, Judith Leyster, Marie-Denise Villers, Pablo Picasso, among many others. I purposely showed them only 2D portraits and then engaged them in discussion on how these portraits could also be done in 3D form.

A Portrait of the Artist: Breaking Down a Wall.
After our critique and discussion, I outlined the premise of this project, stating they would have to create a self-portrait sculpture by filling in the blank, “A Portrait of the Artist as: ________________.”

Initially, the students were a bit apprehensive. They were worried they would have to do a face or body. (Encouraged, but not mandatory.) Then they became apprehensive about coming up with an idea. We devoted one class to brainstorming. I made a web on a large piece of butcher paper and wrote “A Portrait of the Artist as: _________” in the middle. Students filled the web with ideas, even the most silly and ridiculous ones. This was very helpful because it allowed students to work as a group to come up with ideas, which made it less intimidating and help them jump start on their own ideas. I then conferenced with students individually and helped them sketch. They spent 1 whole week developing ideas and sketching. One awesome aspect of this project is that ANYTHING can be made with paper mâché and students could chose to do a sculpture in the round, a relief sculpture, a portrait bust, a mobile, or something totally different. They really had to stretch their creativity and think about how they wanted to represent themselves. As their final project for the year, I wanted to give them total creative freedom. Here are some of the ideas we came up with:
A Portrait of the Artist as: a Waterfall
A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS: _____________.
Opposite (as in, their opposite personality)

Indecision

Animal

Athlete

Warrior

Courtesy

Strength

Layers

A Portrait of the Artist as: a Snow Globe.
Landscape

Toy

Beauty

Super Hero

Pepper

Grace

Freedom

Pez Dispenser

Dinosaur

Sunshine

A Dress

A Building



(Just a few of the many ideas!)

A Portrait of the Artist as: An Open Book.
A Portrait of the Artist as: a Lego Man.
This project took about 5 weeks in total. After students had an idea, they jumped right into it! In terms of papier mache. It took about 2 weeks to construct the sculpture, 1 week to papier mache, and 1 week to paint and embellish the sculptures.   What I wasn’t expecting was how conceptual the students became. Some took an abstract idea and showed it using a concrete object, or they took a concrete idea and created a more conceptual sculpture. I was really pleased with the variety of the sculptures. When I do this project again I will do it more towards the middle of year as opposed to the end; that way students would be more motivated and less distracted by end of the year activities.
A Portrait of the Artist as: Grace.