Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Choice Boards in Art Appreciation


Hello!

I wanted to take a moment to follow up on my previous blog post with an example of a choice board. Choice boards, which can also be presented in the form of choice cards, have become an integral part of my teaching. Choice is an empowering educational tool. When students have choices they are often more motivated to complete tasks and also become more engaged in their projects. In addition, they take more pride in what they are doing because they have more control, care more, and are therefore more invested.

When I taught Art Appreciation, one of the struggles that I encountered was developing strategies to help students learn slides in preparation for their slide ID test. Each class I planned one activity around the slides to serve as slide ID review. One activity that I would like to share with you is the Slide ID Choice Board. I designed this board around the multiple intelligences in the hopes that students would be able to make a choice based on a block that they were interested in or were prolific in. I also want you to know that students were responsible for memorizing the artwork’s title, the artist’s name (last name minimum), the date (plus or minus ten years) and the style period. Considering many had never done anything like slide ID in previous classes, it became essential for me to help them grow in their strategies to help memorize the slides and this choice board was rather successful. We re-used the choice board for each slide ID test. Some students found a block on the choice board that worked for them and stuck with it as we progressed throughout the year. Other students explored many of the blocks and benefited from multiple modes of review.

I hope you find this choice board to be a helpful resource in helping students develop strategies in memorizing slides for Art Appreciation or even AP Art History.