Tuesday, April 21, 2015

5 Recyclables I Couldn't Teach Without


Art teachers are known for re-using a lot of different materials for different purposes in their art classes. In honor of Earth Day I wanted to share a few recyclable and re-usable materials that I couldn't teach without. I wanted to share them with you because they might help you organize your classroom and teach.

1.       Styrofoam Meat Trays: I seriously could not teach without these! Styrofoam meat trays make the best paint palettes – ever! They are sturdier than foam paper plates, wash easily with water and a sponge, and last a long time. In addition, they are readily available. I wash my Styrofoam plates in the dishwasher before bringing to school. If you are in a pinch, you can purchase them inexpensively from your grocery store’s butcher. You can also use Styrofoam meat trays (or flat Styrofoam that you may get as a cushion in a large box) to keep clay projects from sticking to each other, sticking to tables or even storage bins. I like re-using them because they last so long and it keeps them out of landfills for a little longer.

2.      Copy Box Lids: Copy box lids are excellent for organization. I use them to organize supplies, class projects, and to organize table supplies. Each table has a copy box lid that is labeled with colored Duct tape (based on the class’s color) and the table’s number. The box lids help students organize and store in-progress materials and supplies. Students are responsible for getting it out and putting it away the beginning and end of each class. They usually last 2 years before I need to replace them.

3.      Half-Gallon Milk Jugs: If you cut the top of the milk jug off with a box cutter, you get a tall cylinder that works very well for organizing paintbrushes, pencils, ceramic modeling tools, files, erasers, and more! The transparency is an added bonus because it helps you see what is inside, which is extremely helpful when your shelves and art supply storage is high. In addition, I keep a half-gallon milk jug handy to help measure water for mixing papier mache paste because it makes measuring easier and faster.

4.      Lidded Containers: I always save any plastic container with a lid because there are so many instances when having a lidded container that is larger than the little lidded paint containers is extremely helpful. You know you are an art teacher when you go to buy yogurt at the grocery store and you are making your purchases based on how you will re-use the packaging.

5.      Magazines/Newspaper: Oh the possibilities! Weaving! Collages! Sketching/Art Journaling! Basketry! Sculpture! Papier Mache! Packing and cushion material! So many great things to use magazines or newspaper for! At the end of every school year I ask our school librarian to save any old magazines she is not keeping and I take them to add to my stash.

               Art teachers have the opportunity to teach students about the 3 Rs and to teach students how to be responsible, eco-friendly artists.  I want my students to treat materials with respect and to re-use as much as possible so they do not leave a large environmental footprint. I hope that re-using materials in my classroom shows students how there are many possible uses for different items, even traditionally discarded ones.